Why CBD may not be working for you- at least not right away.
Why is it that hemp cannabinoids like CBD, CBC, CBG, CBN may not work for some people at all or at least for some not you right away.
The hemp plant can contain over 100 different cannabinoid compounds. These “cannabinoids” are more popularly known as CBD, CBG, CBN, CBC, just to name a few.
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a natural compound found in the cannabis plant. Unlike THC, the other main compound found in cannabis, CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it doesn't produce a "high" sensation. CBD has gained popularity in recent years due to its potential therapeutic effects, including reducing anxiety, relieving pain, and improving sleep quality.
Reasons Why CBD, CBG, CBN and CBC May Not Work
1. Not enough time in your system. This is the biggest reason we see products not working for people. People expect supplements to work right away, but that is not how the body works. Hemp and other plant adaptogens work synergistically with the human endocannabinoid system this is a complex partnership and it is critical to give your body time to adjust. Although, some people may see benefits immediately it is much more common to see the full benefits after weeks not days.
2. Inconsistent Dosage: One of the most common reasons CBD or other cannabinoids may not work for some people is inconsistent dosage. Hemp products come in various forms, including oils, capsules, and topicals and different people may require different dosages. It's essential to start with a low dosage and gradually increase until you find the right dosage for you.
3. Low-Quality Products: The quality of hemp products varies significantly, and low-quality products may not be as effective. It's essential to purchase hemp products from reputable brands that use third-party lab testing to ensure quality and purity. It is best to avoid hemp products sold on Amazon, at gas stations, and non-reputable online or offline retailers, these are breeding grounds for low quality and even dangerous products. It is also easy to get poor quality from big box stores and mainstream health food stores because the cost for brands to sell in this kind of retail environment is very high and tends to attract lower quality brands who can mark-up the product to still make profit. It is always best to go directly to the brand and to do your due diligence on their lab test and reputation of the company. A quick google search on the brand and the owners can usually turn up the good and the bad players.
4. Wrong Method of Consumption: Another reason hemp supplements may not work for some people is the wrong method of consumption. Hemp products can be consumed in many ways including orally, topically, or via inhalation. The method of consumption can impact the effectiveness of the product. Some people find the best results with a tincture while others swear by capsules. Consumers must give a few different consumption methods a try to find what works best for their body.
5. Interactions with Medications: CBD and other cannabinoids can interact with certain medications, including blood thinners and antidepressants. It's crucial to consult with a healthcare provider before using hemp products if you are taking any medications. One common interaction we hear a lot about is prescription sleeping pills like Ambien. It is very common for people to want to get off of prescription sleep aids, and that is a good thing. However, replacing your prescription for a natural remedy will take time and discipline. Results will vary from individuals and although it it very possible to make this transition it will likely takes months and should be done with the advice of a doctor. This same thing would be the case with an antidepressants like Zoloft and this one could have far more damaging consequences and it would be very wise to not make this move with a doctors insight.
6. Underlying Health Conditions: Finally, hemp cannabinoids like (CBD, CBC, CBG and CBN) may not work for some people due to underlying health conditions. Hemp may not be effective for individuals with certain health conditions and again its would be advised to consult your doctor about your specific conditions and needs.
Since our #1 reason cannabinoids like (CBD, CBC, CBG and CBN) may not work for some people relates to how your endocannabinoid system reacts we wanted to dive in a little deeper here.
The Human Endocannabinoid System and Adaptogens
Hemp cannabinoids like CBD, CBC, CBG, and CBN have exploded in popularity in recent years due to their potential health benefits. However, while many people swear by these compounds, some individuals report little to no effect from their use. This discrepancy may be due to differences in the human endocannabinoid system, the system responsible for interacting with these cannabinoids.
The endocannabinoid system is a complex system that plays a role in maintaining homeostasis in the body. It consists of endocannabinoids, cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2), and enzymes responsible for breaking down the endocannabinoids. Hemp cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system, potentially providing benefits such as pain relief, reduced inflammation, and decreased anxiety.
However, the endocannabinoid system is not a one-size-fits-all system. Genetic variations in the CB1 and CB2 receptors, lifestyle factors, and individual differences in endocannabinoid production can all impact how effective hemp cannabinoids and other adaptogens are for a given individual. Furthermore, there is the potential for tolerance to develop, leading to the need for higher doses to achieve the same effect.
One potential solution to this problem is to pair synergistic adaptogens into your routine. Adaptogens are a class of herbs and mushrooms that can support the body's ability to handle stress and maintain homeostasis. Studies have shown that the combination of plant adaptogens like Hemp, Ashwagandha with Mushroom Adaptogens like Lion's Mane, Reishi, Chaga and Turkey Tail may have a better result than simple taking these compounds alone. For this reason we suggest trying to combine these and see how you react. Thankfully there are a number of products on the market today by reputable brands that have been focusing on this amazing combination to make it easy. Of course you can always mix and match brands that you like. A common combination we see a lot of is having mushroom coffee with a few drops of CBD oil in it.