Are you getting enough sleep? Even if you do manage to get some shuteye for 7-8 hours a night, you may not be getting the quality of sleep that you need to perform at your best. Chronic sleep deprivation and a lack of good quality sleep can lead to:
- Memory issues
- Trouble with critical thinking and problem-solving
- Mood issues
- High blood pressure
- Weight gain
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Poor balance and an increased risk of falls
- Lowered sex drive
- And the list goes on
CBD products have been popular due to the high demand for more natural sleep support products, but more and more researchers are starting to focus on a lesser-known cannabinoid, CBN, for its ability to create a calming sedative effect.
The Science Behind CBN
Cannabinol, or CBN, is a non-intoxicating compound typically found in older cannabis. This minor cannabinoid is an oxidation product of THC. When THC is exposed to light and heat, it becomes CBN.
To outline the effects of CBN on the body we need to look at how the body interacts with this relatively newly discovered cannabinoid derivative. To understand the effects of CBN, we must look at the two endocannabinoid receptors in the human nervous system:
- CB1: found in the central nervous system, and,
- CB2: found in your peripheral nervous system, especially in immune cells
Endocannabinoids may target CB1 receptors to relieve spinal pain or to the CB2 CB2 receptors to reduce inflammation in the immune system. CBN has a greater binding affinity for the CB2 receptor than the CB1 receptor. It acts as an agonist at the CB1 receptors and the TRPV2 receptor, potentially contributing to pain relief.
Since most cannabis or hemp cannabinoid derivatives were off-limits to researchers in most countries for decades, most of the current research on CBN comes from very early studies and experiments which offered a glimpse into the beneficial effects of CBN on the human body. Newer research is being done and the results are promising for the future of CBN to help support sleep and relaxation.
CBN for Sleep & Anxiety
Although research is still being conducted on exactly how CBN might improve sleep, experts believe it might be linked in part to terpenes. It is generally believed that cannabinoids and the various other compounds found in the cannabis/hemp plant contribute to the medicinal properties that cause drowsiness.
Studies on mice have indicated the ability of CBN to induce sleep, while other research has suggested that it may help treat glaucoma, reverse bone loss, and act as an effective antibiotic, anticonvulsant, and pain reliever.
Another study shared in 2017, found that a 2.5-to-5 milligram dose of CBN was as effective as a 5-to-10 milligram dose of Valium, a popular pharmaceutical sedative.
So, is CBN good for sleep and anxiety? The research is still being done, but everything we have seen so far points to a resounding yes.
CBN vs. Melatonin
Some of you may already be taking melatonin or wondering if you should buy that CBD product that includes melatonin. Melatonin is a naturally-occurring hormone that regulates the body’s circadian rhythms. While melatonin may work in some specific short-term scenarios, we wouldn’t suggest incorporating it into your nightly routine.
Users have reported feeling foggy and slow the morning after taking melatonin, and other potential side effects include nausea, dizziness, and headache. Other, less common side effects might include short-lasting feelings of depression, mild tremor, mild anxiety, abdominal cramps, irritability, reduced alertness, confusion or disorientation, and abnormally low blood pressure.
Melatonin could also interfere with blood thinners, diabetes medications, immune system-suppressing drugs, anti-seizure drugs, contraceptives, and other important medications.
Melatonin is not regulated. Dozens of melatonin supplements were tested in a study published by the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, and the hormone serotonin was detected in over a quarter of them, which could be harmful, especially for those taking antidepressants. When taking a “natural” sleep supplement, it is important that you aren’t surprised by any of the ingredients.
Melatonin may work in the short term for specific circumstances but it shouldn’t be your go-to sleep supplement. Many people prefer CBN to melatonin to avoid these uncomfortable side effects and potential risks. There is also tons of anecdotal evidence from users that they wake up more alert and energetic the following day after using CBN products.
Other Health Conditions that CBD and CBN Can Help With
We already know about some of the incredible benefits of CBD for general health and pain relief, but let’s explore some other health conditions that both CBD and CBN could help treat:
- Inflammation and pain relief
- Research indicated that CBN may have pain-relieving capabilities. It appears to influence the activity of neurons that are sensitive to capsaicin(these neurons are critical to the body’s pain perception system). Using CBN along with CBD for pain relief may be right for those who have reached an efficacy threshold with pharmaceutical pain relievers and those hoping to avoid dependence on strong opioids after an accident or illness.
- Epilepsy, schizophrenia, anxiety-related disorders, and substance abuse disorders
- CBD could help treat a variety of other disorders and researchers have generally agreed that it is safe to take 300-mg doses of CBD every day for up to six months. CBN may pair well with CBD for anxiety-related disorders as it shows promise in reducing stress and anxiety.
Current CBN Extraction Procedures
CBN is extracted through Crude Cannabis or Hemp Oil manufacturing in combination with processes to isolate various cannabinoids. Most cannabis plants only produce between 3-5% CBN, so it is difficult to source the product consistently. This may explain why few companies have released CBN products and why they have a much lower dosage and are often combined with other cannabinoids.
The CBN extraction process typically looks like this example of a Cold Temperature Ethanol Extraction process flow:
- Chilling: Pre-chill ethanol solvent using the DC-40 Direct Chiller to as low as -40c to reduce post-extraction steps.
- Extraction: Soak cannabis biomass in chilled ethanol solvent to extract cannabinolic acid (CBNa) compounds via CUP Series closed-loop mechanical centrifugation.
- Particulate Filtration: Remove any suspended particulates/adsorbents
- Solvent Evaporation: Remove ethanol from plant crude oil using the Falling Film Evaporator (FFE).
- Decarboxylation: Activate CBNa to produce CBN (and possibly CBD, THC, etc. depending on your biomass) by removing carboxyl group.
- Distillation: Separate CBN molecules from crude oil utilizing Rolled Film Distillation (RFE).
- HPLC: Test distillate to measure concentration of CBN molecules.
Equipment and systems that are needed to extract CBN include the following based on the two most popular forms of CBN extraction: ethanol and CO1:
- DC-40 – Direct Chilling: The DC-40 Direct Chiller eliminates the use of ultra-low freezers. This allows labs to save lab space and post-processing time by quickly chill alcohol pre-extraction within a compact footprint.
- The CUP Series alcohol extraction systems enable targeting of CBNa oil compounds, streamlining production time while maximizing extraction yields. This all-in-one unit washes and dries the biomass in the same closed-loop system.
- FFE Series Evaporator – Falling Film Evaporator: Recommended for cannabinoid separation and ethanol alcohol recovery from your extracted CBNa tincture. It maintains a high evaporation rate, which significantly increases the throughput of crude oil production and eliminates the need for multiple large rotary evaporator systems.
- RFD-27 – Rolled Film Distillation: is the final step in the processing of high-quality CBN distillate. The RFD-27 is engineered with durable stainless-steel construction that enhances heat transfer capacity to refine targeted compounds from cannabis and hemp extracts to deliver clear distillate at fast speeds.
- High-Output CO2 Systems:
- These systems efficiently extract CBN oil without thermal degradation at industry-leading processing rates. They also provide high production with a wide range of processing options for supercritical and subcritical extractions.
At Raw Botanics, we use cutting-edge equipment, innovative testing practices, and best-in-class extraction methods. We start with using (CO2) as a solvent to extract oil from botanical plant material because it yields safer, cleaner, and purer oil. We then use a nano-emulsification process to combine the exotic hemp-derived oil with benefit-based terpenes and adaptogens for the highest efficacy. We never add any artificial flavors or sugars to our products.
The Most Popular Ways to Take CBN
As with CBD products, the most popular CBN products come in various forms including:
- Taking CBN via oil or tincture under the tongue allows it to kick in faster than a capsule. Some may complain about the taste of certain CBN tinctures, but The Raw Botanics Co. offers a great option enhanced with coconut, citrus, and ginger.
- Capsules or Softgels
- These remove any guessing games with a pre-portioned amount of CBD or CBN. You will have a better idea of the exact amount you are taking at night. The softgels are also virtually tasteless for those who prefer that.
- These offer the same pre-portioned guarantee and let’s face it, it is more fun to eat something yummy. Although CBN Gummies might take longer to kick in, the effects tend to last longer than other methods.
- Creams & Lotions
- Some find success applying products to stiff muscles or using CBN topicals as a relaxing ritual before bed.
Regardless of how you choose to take CBN, it is imperative that you choose a product that has been third-party tested to ensure cannabinoid content. All of our products are third-party tested to ensure consistency, quality, and purity within each batch.
CBN Tinctures & Softgels from The Raw Botanics Co.
The Raw Botanics Co. offers an entire line of products dedicated to better sleep and relaxation. The REST line features CBD and CBN products designed to initiate your body’s natural sleep cycle. The products include a sedative blend of terpenes and adaptogens to help you achieve deep sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. Every CBD and CBN product offered by The Raw Botanics Co. carries the following guarantees:
- Made in the USA from premium organically grown Kentucky Hemp
- No additives or preservatives
- No Sugar, Gluten-Free, Keto, and Paleo-friendly
- Ethically sourced, Vegan, and Cruelty-free
- Proprietary sedative-specific cannabinoids, terpenes, and adaptogen formula
Let’s take a closer look at these products including CBN to help you determine which one is right for you.
REST CBN Softgels 750 mg
These CBN softgels are a popular product that boasts the ability to help with sleep support and stress relief while also offering anti-inflammatory benefits. Each bottle contains 750 mg of active CBN with 30 servings of broad-spectrum hemp extract and active CBN. This product features a proprietary blend of terpenes including beta-caryophyllene, limonene, myrcene, linalool, nerolidol, terpineol, phytol, borneol, alpha-terpineol, and alpha-pinene. It also includes the adaptogens ashwagandha and reishi.
Users can take these softgels each day with food and water, preferably before your nighttime ritual. We recommend taking it about an hour before you lay down to go to sleep.
REST CBD + CBN Tincture 1,000 mg
This tincture formula is set apart from the softgels as it includes CBD. The bottle includes 30+ servings of broad-spectrum hemp extract with 1ml of CBD and CBN per serving. Our REST tincture helps with sleep support, stress relief, immunity, and also offers anti-inflammatory properties.
The formula features tasting notes of coconut, citrus, and ginger. Tinctures work slightly quicker than softgels, so this can be taken toward the end of the evening as you prepare for bed.
CBD & CBN Gift Packs from The Raw Botanics Co.
If you or a loved one is just getting started with CBD and CBN, one of our gift packs may be your best bet. These bundles include either the REST tincture or the REST softgels combined with our popular muscle and joint relief cream. Not only do you get an extra product to try, but buying them in the bundle can help you save some money.
At The Raw Botanics Co., we want you to feel your best and get the best sleep possible. We do this by providing products featuring medical-grade CBN and other quality, natural ingredients to support a healthy lifestyle. Learn more and shop for CBN products on our website today to get started.